Keep your appliances looking like new!
Stainless steel is a growing trend in recent years and one that does not seem to be fading anytime soon. Due to its ability to deter bacteria growth, resist rust, and hold up to everyday wear and tear, it has moved from strictly professional capacities to becoming a staple in the home. However, it is more prone to scratches and damage. So if you do not know how to properly clean the stainless steel in your home follow these general rules and learn the best cleaning methods.
- Use a soft sponge or microfiber cloth. For tougher jobs use a plastic scrubbing pad but do not use steel scouring pads, they will scratch and ruin the film.
- Wipe or scrub in the direction of the grain lines in the metal. Ability to see fingerprints diminishes over time so be patient.
- Stick to a cleaner and don’t switch. If you have white vinegar or olive oil in your pantry you can dampen a cloth with it and then wipe in the direction of the grain for a homemade cleaning solution.
- For a stainless sink, pour club soda on a cloth and scrub, then wipe dry.
- To make the stainless sparkle you can get a polishing paste or spray cleaner that is specifically designed for stainless steel surfaces.
If you stick to these ideas, the appliances in your home will be fingerprint free and sparkling in no time. They will last longer too. For more on keeping stainless steel clean check out the article How to Keep Your Kitchen Appliances Clean.